Sunday 4 May 2008

My favourite wine is Champagne


"I have an old-fashioned, chorus-girl kind of taste in Champagne. Not Moët - I always get heartburn. My favourite is Taittinger."

Thomas Adès, Composer in Time Out London, May 1 - 7, 2008

It's little wonder Moët gives Adès heartburn.


The wine writer, Peter Bourne, once told me - there's nothing wrong with Moët, but it's only really good at the racecourse.


A vintage Champagne from Taittinger is released ten years after bottling.


Suitable for a composer that has been described as if "the piano is waiting to make these sounds - for 200 years - to come out".


I'd recommend the Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Blanc des Blancs 1998 - the latest available vintage blanc des blancs Taittinger Champagne. When I tried the 1986 vintage a year ago it danced for hours after tasting it.


The 1998 is still comparatively young.


But I'm sure it would make the most magnificent of chorus girls happy.


*wink*


Link: Roll over Beethoven: Thomas Adès by Alex Ross, NY Times music critic

No comments: