Tuesday 20 May 2008

Johnny Flynn at Vibe Bar, Stag & Dagger Festival


There's a homeless man on Brick Lane who always comes up to me on the street.


"Excuse me, you wouldn't have a spare £850 for a return ticket to Barbados?"


Our usual transaction paused when Johnny Flynn played his set outside the Vibe Bar courtyard on Thursday night.


We listened to songs about riding on trains, living in a box and eating with rats after dark...


I don't believe a word of it.


Are you kidding?


With his mop of blonde hair and good looks...


Yet, I do.


Flynn has found his own authentic sound, somewhere between blue-grass advice and a Pogues ballad.


If I had to sit by a fire all night to keep warm, I'd want Johnny Flynn there with his guitar to tell stories until sunrise.


The homeless rasta gave it a thumbs up, too.


We like. More please.


Want to buy album - "A Larum" (which I see, is signed to Johnny Cash's US label Lost Highway).


Link: Johnny Flynn myspace
Link: Guardian Music Weekly podcast: Spiritualized and Johnny Flynn

No comments: