Tuesday 1 July 2008

Cinematic Wines - Pt 1: Bandol and Bardot

Brigitte Bardot as Camille Javal in Le Mepris, 1963 (Contempt)

Camille Javal: You like all of me? My mouth? My eyes? My nose? And my ears?
Paul Javal: Yes, all of you.
Camille Javal: Then you love me... totally?
Paul Javal: Yes. Totally... tenderly... tragically.

Welcome to Part I in Wine Woman Song's 6-part July series on cinematic wines. This summer WWS will bring you wines that live in full Cinemascope so you can make the most of the sunshine.


Let's start with the brightest film of the twentieth century, Godard's Le Mépris (Contempt) and a glass of Rosé from Bandol AOC.


Brigitte Bardot's natural home is St Tropez, near Bandol, in Provence, which is famous for it's dry Rosé. It's a perfect match to the film, Le Mépris, a caustic analysis of a marriage breakdown filmed in scorching Technicolor.


Starring Brigitte Bardot, the film is composed in bold splashes of red, yellow, white, and blue. This is Godard painting with Technicolor.


If you imagine how crystal refracts sunlight into its primary colours, you could say Bandol Rosé is a crystal. A lost crystal. I had to go on a search to find it.


Five different wine shops later, I found it.


When I found it, I was dazzled. Totally... tenderly... tragically.


Domaine Tempier Bandol Rose 2007 £16.99
Notes: Rose petal, orange peel, and the dry summer smells of the Mediterranean. Instantly put a smile on my face. It had no sweet aftertaste, but dry, soft and mouthwatering. The dryness zips over the palate. Feel alive again after Winter. I'd be very happy to have this without food, but I can't help but imagine - a la St Tropez - a sunny afternoon with a plate of fresh calamari.


Next post in Cinematic Wines series: Apocalypse Now? Stay tuned.


Link: Le Mepris (1963) IMDb
Link: Bandol Wine Festival, Fête du Millésime in December 2008

Bonnie and Clyde - Serge Gainsbourg

No comments: